A Different Temperament / Tuning Approach

Bradley M. Snook bsnook@pacbell.net
Sat, 08 Jun 2002 01:35:47 -0700

It took me a while, but was able to run through some of the numbers; if you
are interested I can give you my results from A4-C7.

The difference between 3:1 and 2:1 is not that much, but it does add a small
amount of "extra" stretch to the overall temperament. Why do you feel that
this small amount of stretch past a 2:1 octave is helpful? Using your method
with my piano, I get a .190 total beatrate and a +0.3729 cent additional
stretch at A4-A5; at C7-C8 I get a 3.819 beatrate with a +1.5476 cent
additional stretch. It is an interesting approach, but I'm not sure that it
is a good idea to sacrifice the sound of a single octave like that.

I personally do add a very small amount of "extra" stretch to my single
octaves (past that of a non-beating 2:1). But for me, I feel I get a better
result by balancing the sound of a 2:1/4:1 single octave. In addition to
closer coinciding overtones, this method also allows for a better sounding
double octaves.

Bradley M. Snook