Adjusting dampers to tray

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sun, 09 Jun 2002 20:11:10 -0400

In a message dated Sat, 8 Jun 2002  8:54:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ramsey@extremezone.com writes:

>     Matt, what I do is perhaps the easiest, and usually gets me perfect results. ( I like what Roger had to say about installing new tray felt)
>     What I do when I want to re-set damper timing, like when the dampers are almost down on the key ends, and lifting immediately, is to go under the piano and adjust the pedal rod nut up a bit. Then I come back up, put my finger on the top of a damper (lightly) and depress the key. The damper will stop the hammer rise where it contacts the back of the key. This is how I check the timing. I just raise the pedal rod nut until the damper timing is at one third to one half blow distance. Then I pull the action, loosen all the damper screws, lift the underlevers, making sure they're free. Then you can tap the dampers lightly down into position, re-tighten the screws, and re-regulate the pedal nut. After correcting the ones that inevitably twist upon tightening the screws, you're basically done. You'll inevitably run into some that are a little tight on the wire, but not bad enough to run a drill bit down into. just lift the underlever up on the wire, and after the dampers are down in position, tap the underlever down on the tray lightly.
>     All you're really doing is setting the timing to the same thing that will be lifting the dampers; the tray.
>     The only problem with this in a Steinway is that often the tray is not level. It will end up with a damper timing that's earlier in the bass and later in the treble, which is the opposite from what I'd really like. I just did this the other day, and after about a half hour's work, they all lifted perfectly with the pedal. It's a really good technique. Richard Davenport taught me this.  I've probably corrupted his technique, so if anyone has a problem with how I described it, blame me, not Richard.
>

> Kevin E. Ramsey
> ramsey@extremezone.com

If you come to my class in Chicago I will be addressing all of those problems and more.  With the volume of pianos we have been doing over the last 5 years I had to come up with some effective techniques to greatly speed up and improve accuracy when installing and regulating dampers.
David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW