theRe: need more info in the journal

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:35:33 EDT

dnereson@dimensional.com writes:

> Promotion of the next year's National Convention starts as soon as this
> year's has ended and can take up as much as 4 1/2 pages of the Journal.
> Coverage of piano industry news takes up slightly more space.

David

Maybe you don't like the convention coverage, or the industry news, but I
think that is information that is vital to our industry.

The Annual Convention and Institute is the premier event of the year for the
industry, not just the PTG. I don't understand why less than 1/5 of our
members attend the convention. If you want more technical information in the
Journal, and if that is what you think other technicians want, then why
aren't they showing up in droves to the convention. Much more knowledge can
be gained in watching a demonstration, and hearing about it in person, than
reading it in a magazine. The promotion in the Journal is PTG's way of
advertising the convention, without it costing us anything. Perhaps if 2000
technicians attended the convention each year, the PTG wouldn't have to
promote it. But as it is, somehow the message has not gotten around to
everyone, that the convention is the most valuable tool you can have.

As far as industry news is concerned, again, I think this is extremely
important for our business. Where else are you going to hear about it?
Technicians should be aware of what is happening with the manufacturers. I
don't know about you, but I know my customer have always been very
appreciative, if not impressed, with my knowledge of what has happened with
the maker of their instrument. Keeping up with this information can be very
beneficial for your work. (But I guess since all you care about is knowing
how to turn that screw, you're probably not interested in the "business" side
of the industry.)

Wim