keytop trimming (HELP!)

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:25:15 -0700

Greg Newell wrote:

> Now I'm at the trimming stage...   I've been thinking of a 1" belt
> sander as  trimmer. Anyone ever use one of those for this purpose? Any
> and all ideas greatly appreciated. I'm so happy with how the planing
> went I don't want to ruin this in the trimming stage.
>
> Greg Newell
> mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net

You are right on track.  The best system that I have ever seen is the
narrow belt bench top sander.  These are the ones with the belt that
runs around a big loop somewhat like a miniature band saw with the
abrasive side facing outward.  Unfortunately all of these machines that
I have seen have been crudely built of thin rattling parts and a table
that never locks down perfectly straight.  There doesn't appear to be
any manufacturers that makes one all that impressive.  Fortunately in
spite of their crudeness they do work rather well for key trimming.  You
need to work slowly, too fast and it generates just enough heat to melt
the plastic.  Use a gentle sweeping motion across the key.  In a very
short order of time you can trim all of the tops right up flush with the
wood.  You may need to go over them lightly with a fine file to do some
detail work but with the bulk of the work done this doesn't take too
long.  The end result should look quite professional.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV