Doping pins.

Matt Wynne ptuner@optonline.net
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:37:46 -0400

My approach on more modest pianos belonging to customers who are probably
not going for the expensive job is to offer doping with CA as an
inexpensive remedy that usually has good results - that means USUALLY not
always.  If they want to pay me to flip the piano and inhale CA fumes, they
are aware that results may vary.  I will usually give them a list of
remedies in ascending order of cost and efficacy (doping, repin,
pinblock).  In my beginning years, I used to offer tapping the pins, but I
don't bother anymore because it usually entails a double or triple tuning
and the pins loosen up after awhile anyway.

If I have the room I will turn a grand upside down.  I have a temporary
piano leg that allows me to do the job without help.  After two or three
applications, I flip the piano back up and apply from the top on the worst
offending pins.  I'll flip uprights onto their back with my tilt truck.

Have fun

-Matt