"Celluloid Key Covering"

Ellsworth HOOD@uwplatt.edu
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 22:47:24 -0500 (CDT)

I've been away from this list for a while, but key coveriings interest me - I
make fortepianos, and those of us who do this use bone - from cows - to cover
our keys (only the early pre-1800 fprtepianos were covered in ebony).  No need
to kill elephants nor use plastic.  Bone's a bit hard to find, and expensive
(like ivory) but is very hard, easy to work, does not yellow, and was used on
early pianos until the ivory craze which began in England in early 19th cent
and spread elsewhere pretty fast.
	If modern mfgrs would use bone for their good instruments, somebody
would surely open a factory in Omaha and we'd all have a cheap source.
	Margaret Hood
	www.fortepianos.pair.com