Revised web pages

Ron Overs ron@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 01:30:13 +1000

Greeetings to all on the list,

My apologies for not being more active on the list over recent
months. Its been quite impossibly hectic for me down here at the
bottom edge. I'm also sorry that I will be missing that great
'pianoworld dogfight', the national in Chicago. I thoroughly enjoyed
participating in Reno last year. I wish you all the best in Chicago.
I see looking at the convention web site that action geometry is a
big ticket item at this convention. At this rate it shouldn't be long
before the manufacturers get interested in the topic.

Sorry I missed the action geometry discussion which David Love and
Bill Ballard, amongst others, got into a couple of weeks ago. I've
put the posts aside in a separate folder to review when I can get to
it.

Recently I returned from a trip to Hamamatsu where extensive meetings
were held with Tokiwa. Tokiwa are manufacturing the Overs action (or
should I say they are about to start making numbers of them). Under
discussion were some of the finer production details of our action.
I'm sorry that I haven't had the action available for those of you
who have inquired after one. However, we may be getting much closer
to having product available soon.

For those of you who didn't get to Reno last year, I've uploaded a
later drawing of our action to our website. The only difference to
the previous drawing is the jack tail shape, which is a major
improvement over the original design (the Journal image showed the
later design). This shape was revised from the original in March
2001. The jack tail 'rolls' across the face of the let off felt as it
goes through the let off (instead of grinding a hole into the felt
like so many actions do). After having no. 003 in fairly heavy use
since last July, I can report that the let off setting barely changes
at all with this action design. The let off creeping up to the
strings of concert pianos was one thing which would constantly
annoyed me.
As you will see by our web page at,
http://overspianos.com.au/actn.html
we are inviting manufacturers to test our action against those they
are using at present. We are supplying an action shortly, for testing
against a leading manufacturer's standard product. If this
manufacturer decides to use our action for regular production, it
will almost certainly cause other piano manufacturers to consider
following suite.

Our MP3 sample page has been revised (along with several other
pages), with an additional sample from a modified Steinway D we
rebuilt back in 1992. This new sample was originally recorded as a CD
in 1993. I thought this piano had a clean treble back in '92. But
that was then. It doesn't quite have the same clarity as our latest
pianos. Have yourself a comparison listen with headphones if you can.
I'm surprised at how good MP3s can be with a decent set of cans. You
can certainly tell one piano from another.

Regards to all listees,

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY