P.O.I.

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:26:55 -0700

Hi, Ed

I've done a few jobs, fixing up pianos about to be sent to offspring,
usually when someone is moving from a big house, or when the youngsters are
getting a place of their own.

Immediately after the P.O.I. is also a logical time to work on a piano. The
younger (often not _young_) generation now has the piano, grandma didn't
get it worked on for whatever reason, and now they have to decide what to
do with it. This is a time when promising but worn and beat up pianos can
be rescued, and when one can help a family get acquainted with an
instrument and what it can do, so some kind of bonding (other than "I
remember grandma playing this piano") can take place -- or not, if it never
was any good and now is way past the sell-by date as well. I've found the
new owners usually can make a reasonable decision if they understand what
their legacy will and won't be able to do.

Apropos of which -- time to get those Bush & Gerts keys ready to send to
Yvonne for keytops. Third generation in the same family (a one-family
piano), and it does need some help.

Susan