Disinfecting water damaged keys

Sun, 16 Jun 2002 08:07:00 -0400

Hi Bill-

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002 00:01:47 -0400 Bill Ballard
<yardbird@pop.vermontel.net> writes:
> List.
>

> I don't know about the long range implications of the mildew
> stains which run too deeply to sand or blast out. HS practise rooms
> can over the summer trap humidity, reviving the spores buried on the
> keys, making everything smell like a wet sneaker and sending
> students home with allergic reactions.
>
> Is there a way of disinfecting this
> keyboard which (hopefully) doesn't involve more liquids?

Hi Bill -

Don't know about killing mildew without liquids, but applying bleach
carefully with a small brush or swab should kill the spores with a
minimal introduction of more liquids.  Proper hand and face protection
recommended.  I did this once many years ago with lasting results.  If
indeed these keys are salvageable, this small amount of liquid shouldn't
do any more harm than has already been done, and 'should', I would think,
effectively kill the mildew.

Perhaps there is a type of intense light that could be used, but I am not
familiar with it.

Good luck!

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com