What is CA glue?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 12:35:08 EDT

In a message dated 6/16/02 11:06:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
jurjens@ozemail.com.au (Scott Jackson) writes:

> Thank you Bill, for that in depth reply.
> The original question from Pierre Gevaert was:
>
> What is CA glue? Are there different qualitys or brands that are  better to
> use?
>
> So now we know that there are different thicknesses (qualities), but what
> about brands? Are they all the same? I specifically asked about 'Zap'
> brand, as i know that it is available close to home.
>
> I am guessing from Pierre's email address that he is Belgium, and it may
> not be practical, nor probably legal to post chemicals overseas from U.S.
> suppliers, so details are helpful for tracking down something suitable in
> our respective countries.
>

> Scott Jackson (Wollongong, Australia)

There are several brands which I have used,  Zap and Jet have been available
at my local hobby store.  Pro Bond is available through Schaff Piano supply.
I have also seen a brand called, "Hot Stuff!".  Drybaugh Adhesives offers the
product in fairly large quantities.  I usually just buy small quantities at
the local hobby store because the shelf life is limited after the container
is opened.  Also, space in my tool kit is limited, so I prefer small
containers.  Large containers are best stored in the refrigerator or freezer
to prolong shelf life.

In my opinion, there is no real difference between the several brands of CA
glue which I have used but others may say they prefer a particular brand.
The brands which I know may not be available in Europe.  Also, the kinds of
retail or business outlets which sell CA glue may differ in Europe.  There
may be only one of a few brands available which are not known in North
America.  Sale and distribution may be controlled differently because of the
potential danger of the substances.

If anyone who reads this list in Europe knows how and where CA glue products
and catalysts are available, please post the information here.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin