Tuning Hammer and Technique for Novice

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 13:09:21 -0600

Hi Bill,
I offer two length shafts 8" and 10" x 1/2" hex powder coated or blued,  =
 =20
also 15% and 20% heads with a #2 or #3 head.
all but the tips are my design and we are tooling up to make the tip.
The reason for the 1/2" hex is STRENGTH, to not flex like most smaller =
shafts, and control in moving the hammer from pin to pin. One can move =
the hammer by using the knob end but I find that it is easier to move =
the hammer by holding the hammer about 2" from the head when tuning an =
upright, and in the middle on grands. The hex shape keeps the hammer =
from twisting when placing it on the next pin.
The weight of the hammer with a 10" shaft is 11 oz. without knob the 8" =
shaft is 9 oz. without knob The knobs can weigh from 2 to 6 oz. =
depending on the shape and wood used.
So far all who have purchased my hammer have had nothing but rave =
reviews. The user can feel the pin pop in the pinblock as the pin =
turnes. Hey that would be a good title
" As The Pin Turns ".
The heads are recommended not to be changed and are solidly screwed on =
the shaft.
Both ends are 1/8" pipe thread so that either end can be used to mount a =
tuning tip.
If I need to use my thin wall for a pin or two or a piano, I simply =
remove the knob and mount the tip at that end using the regular tip as =
the knob.
You can tune right handed a few more notes into the treble of a grand by =
removing the knob and just using the shaft to tune.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20