Single Strings and bearing

Sun, 16 Jun 2002 22:19:26 -0700

The last six unisons on the tenor bridge are plain trichords.  Each is a
different gauge: 18, 18 1/2, 19, 19 1/2, 20, 21.  Thus each unison consists
of a bichord from one continuous piece of wire that goes around hitch pin
and back to the tuning pin and one single string.  Because the wrap on the
single string rests on the plate, it raises the core of the wire slightly so
that if you measure the angle of inclination toward the bridge, it is
running downhill from the hitchpin to the bridge.  Thus, if you measure the
bearing based on the single strings in the unison, the bearing measures
negative.  The overall bearing on the bridge is still positive when all
strings are taken into consideration.  I am wondering if I might anticipate
any problem, perhaps, from these single strings not seating properly.  Of
course, the more I try to explain this, the more I'm inclined to just forget
about it.  But if you have any comments, please.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 16, 2002 9:15 PM
Subject: Re: Single Strings and bearing

> I'm adding some single strings (6) to the lower part of the tenor section
of
> a piano to smooth out the scaling.  The bearing is minimal at the bottom
of
> the tenor bridge and the singles with their wrap actually put those
strings
> slightly negative.  Would you be concerned about those singles and
therefore
> opt to compromise the scaling and omit them keeping a no singles pattern?
Or
> will they likely not be a problem since they won't change the overall
> pressure on the bridge that much.
>
> David Love

David,
Could you clarify please? Single strings (describe), as opposed to
(describe)?
How do(es) "singles" affect bearing, as apposed to ???? I'm not tracking
here,
and could use some help. Using "wrapped monochord", "wrapped bichord",
"wrapped
trichord", "plain bichord", and "plain trichord" as descriptive categories
would help.

Ron N