Tuning Hammer and Technique for Novice

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:45:42 +0000

Well, I must admit to carrying 3(!) tuning levers in my primary kit.  And
yes, everyone of them is modified from stock.  I've gone from long to short,
from heavy back to light.

My most used lever is a shortened student lever.  Just pulled out of the
handle, cut off and pushed back in.  The handle is covered with a very thin
wetsuit-like tube that I used to have on my bike handlebars.  It gives just
the right amount of cushion without the loss of "feel".

Next, I have a Mahaffey impact lever, shortened (I had a bunch of different
size threaded rods made) with the portion between the weight and the head
covered with clear vinyl tubing (7/8"?) for grip comfort.

Last, I have a mini-extension lever fitted with a long tip for the treble in
grands, with a thin-wall tip in reserve.  This lever is also covered with
the thin handlebar material.  I had hoped to make this one the primary
lever, but the hex shaft doesn't fit the extension collar tight enough,
introducing some wobble.

As to technique, "whatever works" is my motto!  Learn as many different
styles as possible, because the pianos you see will be unpredictable. From
super-tight to barely holding, from smooth moving strings to popping through
the agraffes, try to be ready for them all..... it's part of the fun!

Ron Koval

Chicagoland