S&S dampers, Screw It??

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 06:50:57 -0400

At 01:16 AM 6/18/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Well then, somebody in the factory got off easy that day :-)  The damper
>flanges really are just glued down, yeah, surprised me too. And yes they
>seem secure (for now).  OK, let's pretend it's a 1915 S&S, would you drill
>and screw 'em down?? (This one has a modern sostunuto, unlike the imaginary
>1915). I just want to know if it is a general insurance procedure for any
>techs out there. It will probably only take an hour or so, but still......
>trying to hedge my bets.....

Screwing them in place insures trouble-free operation in the future.

Install a panhead screw and drill the flange large enough for the shank.
A tapered bit would do it in one operation unless you were to first counter
sink the head with brad-point bit.  I used #10 x 3/4 screws on the last
S$S going through my shop, Dale Erwin was here at the time and saw
this underlever upgrade.

Also install assist damper assist springs up to about note 30.  I can send
a jpg
of the spring configuration you'll have to make since the underlevers may not
accommodate a normal spring. The felt blocks which the spring rides in can be
made from hammer felt trimmings.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.