Tuning Hammer and Technique for Novice

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:19:14 EDT

List,

Thanks to all who replied to this.  There were many useful answers.  I am
swamped with business and to add to that, the local theater company I often
perform with in the summer called to offer me the role of Anselmo, the
Muleteer in The Man of La Mancha.  I'll be singing the song, "Little Bird,
Little Bird".  They had me read and sing the songs for the lead role during
the callback auditions.  I had a shot but missed at playing the role of Don
Quixote, the crazed idealist but the role I ended up with is a good one too.

I haven't heard from Tyler Smith yet but he did indicate that his work
schedule presently is taking all of his time.  He said he would be able to
pursue piano technology beginning next month.

I'm inclined to try Joe Goss' ball end tuning hammer although I do need a
hammer with changeable tips.  Most of the time, I use a certain tip but need
a long one for the high treble in grands and an occasional narrow one or
larger/smaller one as the particular case requires.

I have tried impact hammers but could never get used to them.  It is a good
alternative for some techs.  The technique I use really is an impact type
because I actually strike the hammer with the palm of my hand.  Only for very
loose pins or a mushy feel from pinblock dope do I use a slow pull.  While I
think the option of an impact hammer should be kept in mind, I think a novice
should first learn to use a conventional hammer.

I'm going to be very busy for a while, not much time to get into trouble.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin