Pleyel from 1869

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:26:43 +0200

Hi list

Just got my complimentary copy of a CD produced here in Norway. Ketil
Bjørnestad and Ole Paus decided to do a CD on a old Pleyel forte grand from
1860. This piano was put back into playing condition about 15 years ago. To the
dismay of some and pleasure of others this included a complete rescaling of the
instrument and inclusion of some modern action parts.

I got invited to do the tuning for this recording but only got to tune it twice
for the whole recording which was done in the course of one weekend. This was
my first attempt at a forte, or anything this old for that matter. The high
treble is nearly impossible to tune... no matter what you do it sounds bad..
but the rest of the piano is pleasing enough... to hard to get and keep
abolutely clean. I would have prefered to stay there the whole time to touch it
up as needed.

>From about A4 down it is actually quite nice and the bass is just wonderfull
really. This despite the fact that the rescaling included hex core copper wound
bass strings replacing the entire bass. The origional strings I believe were
plain iron, then lower a type of plain bronze ?? and the lowest strings were
iron wound...tho my information is sketchy on this.

Anyways.. I thought I would let you all hear a one minute cut from the CD.

Pianist is Kjetil Bjørnstad, Mixing by Jan Erik Kongshaug at Rainbow Studio,
Oslo.

The file is in MP3 format, entitled "E Kann So Mangen Ein Vakker Sang" which
translates roughly to <<I sense so many beautiful songs>> ... I think...grin..
you can listen at the following address.

http://home.broadpark.no/~rbrekne/music/cut1.mp3

Cheers

RicB

Richard Brekne