Don Quixote OT

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:43:13 EDT

In a message dated 6/19/02 7:22:46 PM Central Daylight Time, Keith writes:

> Still throwing mud. What a blowhard you hard.
>

> That's *not* what doing a play is about at all. It's about supporting all
> concerned to make the play as successful as possible. Not putting someone
> down. If that means underplaying a part some to lift up a weaker link, if
> indeed the other person is, (appears more like sour grapes to me), then
> that's what real acting is all about.
>

> What you related in your post is nothing more than egotism at its zenith.
>

> >...Don't call me Don Quixote or you might get what you wish for!
> > Bill Bremmer...
>

> Not to worry. At this point in life, you are way beneath the integrity
> needed for such a important role of honor as Don Quixote.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Keith McGavern

See it the way you want, but I see it the way I want too and it ain't like
you do.  I asked the guy to sing a line to sub for another who wasn't there
and he refused because it might throw HIM off.  Huh!  Then he says he
pronounces Dulcinea as *DULL* see-nay-ah because people who don't know
Spanish *expect* it to sound that way.  I talked to the director and got that
straightened out real quick.

The Director pointed out right in the beginning about the very thing you
mentioned, the weakest link.  And you expect ME to come down to his level so
all of the links will be *equal*?  Never!  He has a good, strong baritone
voice while mine is a Tenor/Bari mix but the guy could barely read the music
and took up a lot of time with that which wasted everybody else's.  There
were 7 people who tried out for that part and he was the very last I would
have ever chosen but they did choose him and I accept that.

Yes, I have to work with him even though I know I am a better singer and
actor.  In no way will I ever compromise my own work just to make him look
better as the lead player.  That will be up to him, so if he can't rise to
the occasion, he gets the bad review in the papers saying that the rest of
the cast stole the show from him.

This is the same show where I had to step in 10 years ago and save the guitar
player from ruining it by showing him how to tune the guitar and yes, by
*inventing* a new way to tune it which you, of course condemned.  Guess what,
they are again having trouble finding a guitar player who can and will do the
role and so I am anticipating having to do the same again.  I will not even
think about you and the several other people who said that it is not
*possible* to tune the guitar like that because I know it is because I did it
and still have the video tape from it.

If I lived my life according to what everybody else thinks and says I should
do, I wouldn't have a mind of my own at all.  You can hate me for it, despise
me for it, delete me for it, tell me not to post on the list or come to the
Convention but I'll still keep on doing what I do the way I do it because it
is better art than what you would have me produce.

I lead, I don't follow.  What you try to do is stifle.  Let's see you come up
with something worth considering for a change.  I gotta go to rehearsal now
where we do the combat scene and I put the bucket over that guy's head.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin