Don Quixote OT

Ken Jankura kenrpt@earthlink.net
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 22:51:33 -0400

>by showing him how to tune the guitar and yes, by *inventing* a new way =
to tune it which you, of course condemned.  Guess what, they are again =
having trouble finding a guitar player who can and will do the role and =
so I am anticipating having to do the same again.  I will not even think =
about you and the several other people who said that it is not =
*possible* to tune the guitar like that because I know it is <

As Don Q knew he was fighting a dragon...
With all due respect, I can't imagine a guitar tuned so that certain =
notes are more harmonically consonant for certain chords without all the =
rest of them being somehow out of tune or at least in a version of a =
reverse well. For a simple example, if you tune a guitar so that the 'b' =
string is slightly flat, thereby making an open G chord have more just =
intonation, when you play a C chord the octave will be out of tune with =
the upper note flat by that much,etc. I can imagine inversions of an Ab =
chord sounding much sweeter than certain C chords, which I have always =
taken to be a basis of determining a reverse well. It seems to me =
impossible to follow the well-temperament rules of consonance/dissonance =
based on the circle-of-fifths on a fretted instrument. As a former =
guitar player, and someone genuinely interested in HTs, I would =
appreciate an explanation of how you would tune it and how it works and =
what restrictions if any are imposed on the guitarist's voicings.

Ken Jankura RPT