Pleyel from 1869

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:11:38 +0200

 Stephen Birkett wrote:

>Hi Richard,
>
>>Just got my complimentary copy of a CD produced here in Norway. Ketil
>>Bjørnestad and Ole Paus decided to do a CD on a old Pleyel forte grand
>from
>>1860.
>
>Ah ha. The subject line says 1869. Which is it? There's quite a difference
>between a late 1850s and an early 1870s French piano.

1860 is what they are saying at the museum. I am not sure that that date is
exact.. I can find out for you tho.

>I expect the original stringing material was not much different in
>principle from a modern piano....should be plain steel, then wound. No
>brass, and never bronze (no one ever strung pianos in bronze till the nuts
>who used phosphor bronze out of ignorance.) Iron wound is common and the
>windings go right over the pins.

Hmm.. I will have to take a picture of this Broadwood square I have, and a few
of the Hafner forte the University has. On the latter, clearly someone sometime
used some kind of brassy coloured plain wire strings all the way down the bass
except the last 4 tones. Perhaps you know what this material is ?

>>Anyways.. I thought I would let you all hear a one minute cut from the CD.
>
>Thanks. Sounds nice despite the mucking around you mentioned. Can you post
>a bit more so we can hear the problem you described with the treble?

Sure..but I am going to get slaughtered for it... grin.. I even used RCT and
Tunelabe recently on another concert to help me sort it out... the highest
notes just wont come clean. Also... most of this CD is piano and vocal.. and
the guy who sings cant sing... I mean he really cant sing. I mean Bob Dylan has
nothing on this guy whatsoever. On top of it being in Norwegian.  He is a very
famous folk artist here tho, and has his own poetic style that once understood
is quite neat really.

I will rip off another cut that really shows the treble problems the piano has,
and the problems I had with the piano. Thanks for the reply Stephen.

>Stephen
>
>Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
>Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
>464 Winchester Drive
>Waterloo, Ontario
>Canada N2T 1K5
>tel: 519-885-2228