Don Quixote plus Guitar Tuning Data

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:49:45 EDT

In a message dated 6/20/02 12:12:01 AM, Billbrpt@AOL.COM writes:

<< I took the opportunity to interpret the script in a way which shocked some
people but which was also very funny from a role that most people play very
conservitavely.  This had the effect of "stealing the show".  I even had to
reassure the guy I was playing against not to take what I did as an actor
personally, that it was only acting.  He picked up on that and it made his
role more interesting too. >>

This strikes me as typical of a community theatre production.  Where is the
director when these choices are being made?  In professional theatre, where I
dwelt for 25 years, you would not be given the "opportunity to interpret the
script in a way which shocked" anyone unless the director had a say in it.

I was also amused by your phrase, "the guy I was playing AGAINST", as if it
were some sport or competition.  If there is an analogy between theatre and
sport, it would be that the acting ensemble is a TEAM, not individuals vying
against one another.

Don't quit your day job.

Tom Sivak