Steinway Seminars

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:00:41 EDT

In a message dated 6/21/02 4:18:38 AM Central Daylight Time,
cadunn@vt2000.com writes:

> Hi--
> I've waited a bit on this thread, but no one has asked and everyone
> seems to know about them (except me :)
> What are the Steinway Seminars, and do you have to be a dealer? What
> do they cover? How much do they cost? Where does one stay? etc.
> Thanks anyone!
>
> Cheers,
> Clair

Clair.

There are 4 one week programs Steinway puts on.

1 Comprehensive Piano Service, where a technician works on a piano in a
private setting, and, with a factory technician, get training on complete
regulation, hammer filing, lacquering techniques, piano prep, time
management, dampers, pedals and trapwork, and tuning and voicing techniques.
The session also includes a factory tour, where subjects covered are wood
selection, preparation and assembly, construction of actions, hammers, cases,
soundboard and finishes, and assembly of components including plate fitting,
bellying and stringing.

2. Tuning and Tone production, which are divided into four topics. Action
regulation, building power, tuning, and precision voicing.

3. Damper installation, where each participant is given a chance to build a
damper system from the ground up. Students receive a grand piano with no
damper system. Parts are distributed, assembled, installed and regulated,
using factory techniques.

4. Concert preparation which is offered after completed the other three. It
is basically one on one instruction using all the information from the
previous three programs.

There is a fifth program on servicing the Steinway and Boston finishes.

The cost is $850 for the week, which includes your hotel room. We're staying
at the Ramada Inn by Shea Stadium. Meals and transportation are on your own.

You need to be sponsored by a dealer or a university that has a lot of
Steinways. (preferably both). They do invite private techs, but the waiting
list is long. I understand that even if you work for a university or a
dealer, the waiting time can be long. I guess I was lucky to get in so soon.

Wim