removing plate

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 01:11:20 -0400

At 03:21 PM 6/21/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I have to take the plate out of grand piano. I don't have a hoist, and I
>don't have two other people to help me.  Has any one tipped the piano on
>it's side, and then upside down to take the plate out? Any other ideas?
>
>Wim

The piano does not have to be completely tipped over.
Remove the strings & pins, pin block screws all but 1 treble-side rim bolt.
Simply turn the piano on its side, removed the remaining bolt, ease the
plate out.
Make certain to protect the inside of the straight side from the plate
making marks.

Re-install in the reverse manner.  A lifting system attached to a beam is
mu8ch easier
but in a pinch this can be done.