clothing

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 13:05:20 EDT

In a message dated 6/21/02 9:33:27 PM Central Daylight Time, lesher@jdweb.com
(Cliff Lesher) writes:

> While servicing a 1953 Acrosonic on Tuesday, I came across a pamphlet that
> Baldwin apparently included with the piano.  In it there was section about
> service, tuning and how to choose a technician.  The accompanying picture
> (drawing) showed a tuner at someone's door wearing a double-breasted suit,
> .

Well, according to some, if not most of the good ol' boys on this list who
write nice, short posts about "PSO's" and such, you were doing the
impossible.  Don't you *know* that an Acrosonic isn't really a piano?  Don't
you *know* that it has a "poor scale" and literally *can't* be tuned?!!!

I'm with you, though, I dress professionally and while I was in my hot
weather attire yesterday, short sleeved white shirt and black shorts, I spent
4 hours on an Acrosonic which others had turned down as beneath their dignity
as Reverse Well tunin' Tooners.  I raised the pitch 50 cents, cleaned it all
out, filed the hammers and sanded the crust off the dampers, tightened the
flanges, aligned the hammers, adjusted blow distance, capstans, letoff and
touched up the key level, lubricated and fine tuned.  I played and sand a
couple of songs, had dinner with the couple and today I have check for $400
to deposit.

Yes, I'm pointing the finger at all the others who are too good to stoop to
this low level just so I don't have to think about what a tragically pathetic
existence I lead.  I was unethical about it too.  I didn't give them a choice
of temperament and never explained a word about it.  They were under the
assumption, of course that I tuned in ET but I fooled them into falling for
some cockamamie idea that I just went around one day and made up without
knowing anything about what I was doing.

There oughta be a *law* against guys like me!

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin