Bremmer's last tirade

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 13:36:13 EDT

In a message dated 6/21/02 9:38:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no (Richard Brekne) writes:

> Hmm.... which raises an interesting question I think.. ,as long as so many of
> us insist on discussion to the end of the world these earth shaking matters
> of
> import that have to do with Baron Bills character traits....,
>
> Just what is the main difference between Mr Billhelm Bremmier and  the rest
> of
> us ? Is it really that he is quite superiour to us menigmen, enlisted
> lowlifes,
> corprals of the mundane ? Is he really an ombudsman for perfectionism, for
> enlightenment, espousing an Renesiance of temperaments to colour our
> hueless,
> monotonously drab musical realities... ??? Is he a madman...? A stark raving
> psycopathic phaleogenic regurguration from the bowels of the neanderthal ?
>
> Or perhaps the difference is as simple as an acute and absolute lack of a
> sense
> of diplomacy ?

No,  Richard, you only got the last part of it right.  According to some of
the professionals on this list who have diagnosed me, I am a classic case of
a paranoid schizophrenic alcoholic.  I blame everyone else for my
shortcomings and point the finger at others so that I can justify in my own
twisted mind why I can't really tune a temperament or get along with anyone
else.

Before I came along, everyone who wrote on this list was normal.  There was
no need to talk about temperament because there was only one, everybody knew
that, so it didn't even have to be mentioned, let alone discussed.  There was
only one kind of octave, pure, of course, what else?  Of course, there was
still a desire for "color" but that could be had simply by mistuning the
unisons a little or just doing a quick job, leaving it a bit rough.

What there was to discuss, or should I say, gripe about were the PSO's.
Every post had to include at least one reference to a PSO.  There were no
good pianos except the most expensive large grands.  No one on this list ever
tuned anything but those.  What there was to gripe about were the
appointments one got to and found not a piano but a PSO!

Of course, some felt that although large, expensive grands were the only
pianos worth servicing, sometimes, out of a sense of charity, one would do
what one could to make a PSO with 44 of the keys not playing work the best it
could under the circumstances and simply look forward to the next job when
there might be an actual piano.

Then I came along and ruined everything by thrusting my insanity upon the
entire profession.  It has been reeling from it ever since.  I actually said
it was not a good idea to talk about PSO's!  The very foundation upon which
our profession is built, griping about PSO's and I come along and *destroy*
it! There are daily tirades, attacks and insults.  Unethical, if not illegal
behavior is talked about as if it something to aspire to.  I even talk about
the most forbidden, tabooed subject of all, tuning (in an *UNequal*
temperament), regulating and voicing PSO's!  It's a bad, bad, situation,
Richard.  Maybe somebody should do something about it.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin