clothing

Jay Mercier jaymercier@hotmail.com
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 22:21:39 +0000

List,

"I want to present myself as professionally as possible, and an embroidered
shirt just doesn't cut it.

>Just my view
>
>Wim"

After wearing blue jeans and flannel button downs during service calls for 4
years, it was brought to my attention that other tuners wear slacks, button
down shirts with ties.  Since I was in my first 5 years of tuning and could
use more business, I tried wearing slacks and ties.  I thought this may drum
up more business by being 'more professional.'  The main 'vibe' I received
from most customers was "Who are you trying to impress here?"  Although some
customers felt at ease upon opening the door to first see me with my slacks
and tie, I feel it is the 5 minute conversation at some point during the
tuning appt. that sell customers on my commitment to professionalism.  I've
since returned to flannel and blue jeans - clean however, and customers are
at ease and it's so much easier to work.

>"I wouldn't mind being "brought down" to the level of an auto mechanic.  My
>older brother IS an auto mechanic who works at a Goodyear garage and for
>each of the last ten years has never failed to make at LEAST $100,000.00 a
>year, usually much more."

Most technicians I know are intelligent enough to be at the top of other
professions making much more money.  The money isn't what keeps many
technicans in this business.

Jay Mercier
Associate member,
Twin Cities Chapter PTG