windows xp

Mark Story mstory@smbnw.com
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 20:13:08 -0700

This is a licensing issue. MS is really getting strict about copying.
Personally, I don't think the approach they are taking is the right one -
but I don't think they are being nefarious either. The amount of money that
they are losing overseas is fenominal - at least at their, _ahem_, "premium"
prices. All you have to do if you change key hardware elements is give them
a call and they will give you a new key. I would suggest that if you have to
do this, check in advance to see if your particuar upgrade or replacement
will invoke the protecion scheme. Here's an excerpt from ZDNet that's pretty
clear:

>From the time you first boot XP, you have 30 days to activate it either
online or via telephone. The activation is based on a 50-digit installation
code that consists of the XP software product ID and a hardware hash value.
Once you activate XP, you can't make more than five major changes to the
hardware configuration without reactivating. Every 120 days, the clock is
reset and you can make an additional five hardware changes. If you replace
or reformat the hard drive, you must always reactivate.

Product Activation has sparked concern from users who feel it will be
onerous and an invasion of their privacy, but these fears seem exaggerated
for several reasons. First, Product Activation does not involve personal
information; it is separate from Product Registration, which gives you the
option of providing your name, company name, address, phone, and e-mail
address. Second, the hardware hash value is generated locally on your PC
using a one-way algorithm that, according to Microsoft, can't be decoded to
reveal the hardware makeup of your system. Finally, the provisions that
Microsoft has made for hardware configuration changes should satisfy most
users.

It's at this address if you want to check out the entire article:

 http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2808636,00.html

Mark Story
SMB Northwest
mstory@smbnw.com