Molded Keytops (slightly OT again)

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 01:00:05 -0400

Jim,
         Well, you can easily pick up viruses off of email. We all know
that. The danger that I am concerned about is the bots that go looking for
active IP addresses when one is online. Even if you are not actively
downloading these bots can detect your presence and use your computer
against you or others in the form of Distributed Denial of Service Attacks.
These small programs are placed on your hard drive without your knowledge
and then called upon when you are online to spike others addresses or to
effectively keep you connection so busy as to render your online experience
useless. The only way I know of to stop these things is with a firewall. A
firewall is like a one way mirror to the internet. You can see out but they
can't see in. If the Firewall is doing it's job it cannot even be detected
that you are online or that there is anything at all at the end of the IP
address that they are scanning. If you are unlucky enough to have one of
these small programs on your hard drive that are called upon to participate
in Distributed Denial of Service Attacks the working Firewall renders them
dead because the computer that put the file on your hard drive can no
longer contact your computer to put the program into effect. It's a little
late and I hope I wrote that so it makes some sense to you all. For the
best description please do visit grc.com and first scan all your Shields
and ports and such and then read up on the firewall (zonealarm is really
the best and it's free and it doesn't take up much space, ....
zonealarm.com) and distributed Denial of Service Attacks at
http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm .       For the Win XP issues see the same
site in the last sentence. The issue is that Microsoft is thought to have
designed XP with too many things left wide open by default. You can and
should take steps to close XP down to outside attacks. To the grammar
police I apologize in advance for the never ending and rambling paragraph.
Some say this is not worth worrying about but the identity thing is no joke
and getting more common all the time. One thing I forgot to mention is that
if your IP address is marked as active and you are lucky enough to not have
one of these nasty little programs on your hard drive, and even if you
never get them, these scanner know your there and can come back at any time
to scan for more info about you any time they choose. Am I being a worry
wart? You decide.

Greg Newell

At 08:58 PM 6/22/2002, you wrote:

>In a message dated 22/06/02 8:54:10 PM, gnewell@ameritech.net writes:
>
><< There's also quite a bit of talk about Internet security issues.  >>
>
>Greg, appreciate the concern here. I don't plan on using this thingee on the
>net...strictly for e.mail away from home and for some serious type
>writing....... No downloading of 'anything' from 'anybody'.......... still a
>potential problem??
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net