More Pleyel from 1860

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 12:10:00 +0200

 Stephen Birkett wrote:

>The "brassy stuff" in the bass is ......... brass.

Grin... well that certainly explains it !

>Certainly this was used on basses of earlier pianos. But in the 20s most
>builders began to use covered bass strings instead,. Certainly by the 30s,
>and by 1860 I would not expect to see any piano with plain brass bass
>wires.

My understanding is that this Hafner is from a somewhat later date then the
20's, tho the Broadwood I have is from the 20's I believe. I am still trying to
confirm this tho.

>Thanks. Interesting. I don't find the treble bad. Tuning sounds a bit off
>maybe, perhaps loose pins or some other mechanical reason from the
>"restoration".

Probably more my "fault" then anything else. I had real problems deciding what
to do in the highest octave,,, the top notes I found just plain impossible.
Otherwise I was a bit confounded by the feel of the pins and string tension as
felt there. Very different and I have notice this on the historical two
instruments I now care for. Reminds me more of the tuning feel of a cembalo..
(hapsichord) really. I suppose I will gain skill as I gain experience in both
regards.

Pins were plenty tight. The rebuilder who rescaled the instrument complains
about inharmonicity problems with the scaling in the treble. It was done 20
years back or so and he says appropriate wire was not available at the time.

General tone up top sounds right. And very nice bass of
>course, as has been mentioned. [the singer guy is sounding a bit the
>chain-smoking like Reynaldo Hahn]

Actually, as David I said.. he is very lyrical... but yes he has that quality
to his voice. There is a cut where they do the Norwegian National Anthem.
Grin... not to be confused with Jimi Hendrix's American from the late 69 or
so.. except in that it is radically different from what we usually hear.

>For interest and comparison I've put an mp3 file on my website to
>demonstrate the sound of an 1842 Erard - also from a commercial recording.
>[If anyone wants the CD details I can pass on the number and artist
>information - it is well worth having]. To hear the clip go to
>http://real.uwaterloo.ca/~sbirkett and click on the only "link" in the
>links section of the navigation stuff on the left (called Erard 1842 -
>Brahms). It's an 8 minute movement so about 8 MB file.

It was beautiful Stephen. I wish the piano had been recorded just a little
louder relative to the strings tho. A bit of a different puppy this Erard tho.
A lot of similiarity in tone quality as far as I could tell... but a lot of
differences too that I cant really put a finger on. The bass was different then
the Pleyel for sure... tho I will have to think on how to describe that. The
treble in these things seem to lack some kind of sustain / body ... perhaps
something that combines these two things in a way that makes them sound a bit
hollow and distant... sort of like hearing through a ventilation shoot from
upstairs in that old school building on 34th and DesCartes Ave.  It grows on
you... but I cant help but wonder about how these instruments sounded when
brand new.

Shhesshhhh... this piano world of ours.... gets bigger every I wake up.

I will have some pictures of the Hafner and the Broadwood up in a few days. And
next time I get down to Rosendal I will take pictures of the Pleyel for you.

Cheers and thanks for the wonderfull Brahms cut.

RicB

>Stephen
>
>Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
>Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
>464 Winchester Drive
>Waterloo, Ontario
>Canada N2T 1K5
>tel: 519-885-2228