Windows XP

Hechler, Duaine & Laura dahechler@mlc.net
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 13:59:35 -0500

I'm new to the business and this mail group. However, I've been
following the "Windows XP" thread from the beginning.

Now it's my turn..........

First, at home for my desktop, I'm using a dual boot of Windows 95 (for
my sons' games only) and, for everthing else, Linux (Mandrake 8.2
distribution it seems to be the easiest to setup) with StarOffice
(OpenOffice is the free version) as my office package and Mozilla (free
version of Netscape) as my web browser.

I'm also on a Linux mail group and let me tell you a couple of things
about XP (that came from people that use Windows and Linux every day) .....

- as previously posted, I think, if you don't register XP with MS in 30
days, it will time out and you will have to reinstall it.
- if you have a DVD player on your system and a connection to the
internet, XP will dial up MS and tell them what you just watched (sounds
like invasion of your privacy to me).
- MS is trying to force everyone to use their WMP (Windows Media Player)
... natively it doesn't come with software that supports MP3's (at least
the last time I've heard about the subject)
- because all the evil people know that most people are using windows,
in general, you need antivirus software (very few of the viruses have
hit Linux boxes)

Recently, I've found out that 34% of the internet servers are run by
...... Linux !!

By the way, most of the Linux OS and software that you will need for
your everyday work is *** FREE ***

Cheers,
Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Harmonium, Melodeon, Pump Organ & Parlor Organ Rebuilding