FAN (was: clothing)

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:11:51 +0930

Hi All,

Fans of any type should be switched off when a piano is open. Particularly
upright pianos.
You all seem to be concentrating on the sound problem with the echo of the
blades of ceiling fans but there is more to it than that.
Maybe because I'm in the tropics I notice it more but if you leave the fan
on whilst tuning, then check over what you did 20 minutes ago, you will find
that this is not where you set it.
If a fan is on it is on to cool humans down (generally) it does this by
causing the sweat on you skin to evaporate. Not so with timber. You are
generally forcing either moister or dryer air through the action and onto
the soundboard.
The piano under these circumstances then reacts in a very short space of
time to effect the regulation and tuning as the timber and felts expand or
contract.
I know, the temptation to turn a small fast fan on is high (and have at
times been guilty) but the result is always the same.  Two weeks later when
the piano has restabilised, it will be not as you left it.

Regards,

Tony Caught
Darwin
Australia