ordering Wurlitzer bass strings from Baldwin

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:23:37 -0500

List,

A couple of weeks ago someone posted that they had had trouble ordering
parts from Baldwin. At that time, since I had been able to order strings as
needed, I though there was no problem.

However, today I attempted to order 11 bass strings for a piano. (I had
replaced the set of bass strings 2 1/2 years ago, and had ordered them from
Baldwin without any problems then.) When I called today, I was told they no
longer had those strings available and to call Mapes. Upon inquiring about
what string scale to ask for, I was put on hold while the lady asked the
technician. Ha! She did not press the hold button correctly, so I was able
to hear the tech in the background muttering something about him having to
do my work for me, etc. When the lady come back to me, she said to ask for
scale number 450, but that the tech was "not sure this was the right one."
!!! They also said I might have to measure each string. Sheesh!

Well, the long and short of it is that I called Mapes, simply told them the
model number of the piano, and they will get the strings out tomorrow. What
great service that is, and what poor service from Baldwin!

FYI,

John M. Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS