Estey backchecks

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 23:29:23 EDT

Tuned an 1898 Estey upright today.  The backchecks were an interesting
design.  There was a flange at the top and a second piece of wood was spring
mounted to kind of "cushion" the backchecking of the hammer.  It would be
open in a kind of inverted "V" and when the catcher came into contact with it
it would compress so that the two pieces of wood would basically parallel.
There was felt, of course, on the side facing the catcher.

This is probably something you all have seen before, (there's probably even a
term for it) but it was a new one to me.  They seemed to worked just fine.  I
found one hammer that was double striking, and sure enough, the backcheck was
positioned too far back to check properly.  So my conclusion there is that
they don't work any BETTER than the standard design.

Another interesting feature of this piano was the soundboard:  the grain ran
horizontally instead of on an angle.  I always thought that this cost-saving
measure was started much later (1930s, or 40s),  but here it was on this
ancient beast.

Despite the soundboard, the piano has a quite good tone with lots of sustain.
 Beautiful carved cabinet, perfect set of ivories.

Tom Sivak