Yamaha uprights

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@attbi.com
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:18:38 -0700

Your findings are exactly what I have noted for some time as well. I =
also found that the capstans do not have flat & equal sizing as you =
rotate the capstan in your measuring device. Some pianos have whole =
sections where the wrench (Yamaha) works great then all of a sudden the =
wrench feels like it's two sizes too big.=20

Conclusions? Well, the pinblocks used to be OK and now they're not. I =
asked about that and never got a satisfactory answer. I've seen a =
variety of height of tuning pins as well. Most of the issues are =
probably quality control or poor maintenance of equipment. Drills =
overused or run too fast? As far as the capstans there definitely is a =
rat at work somewhere.

Knowing Yamaha, eventually all these problems will be solved. I still =
like the scenario of bringing three pianos, brand S, brand B and brand =
Yamaha right out of their crates and comparing which one is the most =
likely to be in tune, regulated and case in decent shape. I guarantee =
you it will not be the first two.
Joseph Alkana  RPT
josephspiano@attbi.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dave Doremus=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 4:18 PM
  Subject: Yamaha uprights

  I've recently had to tune three Georgia made Yamaha uprights with=20
  Baldwin style tight and jumpy pins. I've never felt pins like that in=20
  a Yamaha before. Any one else run into this? Is it a new style or=20
  just sloppy factory work? Also, who makes a capstan wrench for those=20
  hexagonal capstans, none of the ones I have will work.=20