Tuning Oral

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 05:24:52 -0400

Kallie, if you're tuning Orally, this will be a very interesting subject on
Pianotech if you ever decide to explain your technique!!

I believe you mean "A"urally..sure..there's lots of us Dinosaurs left here
on earth. You asked if a tuning device would help speed up the process? It
depends on the user. When I first got my Accutuner, I got it with the
intention of learning what it is listening for, what the machine calls "in
tune". As much as I love the machines and use them when the time is right, I
much prefer an good aural tuning over a machine.

I don't know if there's tuning devices available for visually impared
tuners..my opinion is they don't need one..their hearing is usually so far
advanced that the use of a device to 'help' their impairment, in my opinion,
would only slow them down. Now I'm not sure if I understand your
question.........

When I was first learning how to set a temperament and lock in unisons, I
was told to close my eyes..all of a sudden I could hear so much better when
I removed the visual from the equation..I will occasionaly do that if I run
into a 'problem' piano..it helps take my mind off of how I really feel about
the instrument I'm working on!

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
tito@philbondi.com