Peterson 490ST Strobe tuner....good?

Matt Wynne ptuner@optonline.net
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:18:19 -0400

I started as an ETD tuner - the Yamaha PT-100, but I was also trained to
tune by ear.  As my hearing ability grew, I grew very dissatisfied with
that machine, even though practically of my customers would have never
known the difference.

Moving up to the SAT II helped me in hearing what a temperment should sound
like and eventually I found that I was having to make corrections to the
SAT tuning way more often than not which spurred me into more and more
aural tuning.

I passed the tuning exam this year and I don't even carry my SAT around
anymore, except when visiting new customers where a pitch raise may be
involved.  The SAT is very handy for landing the pitch right at A440 to
prepare the piano for a fine tuning.  Now, I'm developing my ability to do
accurate pitch raises with a tuning fork.

My mentor in piano tuning said that using an ETD is like heroin.  But if
we're motivated enough we can kick the habit.

My bit
-Matt