install soundboard (was Buldoc glue)

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:41:54 -0400

Terry wrote:

>Can hot hide be used successfully to install a board with one set of
>skilled hands, one semi-skilled set (wife), and one unskilled set (son) (I
>just watch)? If so, what would be your procedure to do it within the
>working time of hot hide glue. Thanks.

Yes. Size the surfaces and use very thin glue (as for all general hide
gluing). You'll have plenty of working time to install a soundboard. Have
the clamping system ready-to-go beforehand, of course.

If you're still worried you can heat the innards first, but I don't think
that should be necessary. Enclose the underside somehow, and put a
hairdryer inside the guts of the case with a blanket over top. You''ll get
the temperature of the surfaces up pretty slick that way.

Thin glue and sizing though....works good (as the Canadians like to say.)

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228