Sevicing low end pianos (was clothing)

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:27:25 +0000

LOL @ the ad. :D
Yes I understand single strings in low bass.  I have yet to see a piano
that's big enough for bichords down there.
IMHO, other possibly more practical definitions I might have for a baby
grand, would go by certain models (I.E. Steinway S or M, L, maybe A,
Young Chang 150, 157, or 175, 185 Yamaha GA1, GH1, C1? (if there is
such a model), C2, C3, Baldwin M, R, maybe L and smaller models), or by
checking the tone and seeing if, while playing individual bass notes
one after the other, the piano doesn't have a fairly full, rich sound
all the way down to the bottom A (allowing for the bottom A to be a
little inferior due to scaling - near edge of bass bridge and
soundboard, for example), or by comparing it to a good upright - if you
could find an upright (including old monster uprights with extra long
bass strings and extra large soundboards) that, if properly cared for,
would have tonal quality in the bass equal to or better than the grand,
then the grand imho is a baby.
What do you guys think would be good definitions for different sizes of
grands?  something like < 5 foot = spinet in horizontal form with a
grand action, 5 foot to 6 foot = baby (but allowing the Steinway L to
be in the next category up), 6 foot to 7 foot = "home" or "living room"
grand or whatever names you want to use, 7 foot to 7 1/2 foot =
professional grand, 7 1/2 foot to 9 foot = semi-concert grand (classify
the Steinway D as a full concert grand), 9 foot and larger = full
concert grand, possibly?

--
  Stephen Airy
  stephenairy@fastmail.fm