Pitch Raise Questions

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 18:54:34 EDT

In a message dated 6/25/02 11:17:26 AM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Have you enjoyed your varying responses? Anything over 25 cents is a pitch
> raise (PR)? Anything over 4 cents is a PR?

The bottom line of a pitch raise is what the piano is going to be used for.
If the piano is in a concert situation, and it HAS to be at A440, then you
need to make sure the final tuning is at A440. If this requires a second pass
even with a 2 cents raise, then this is what HAS to be done.

But in most home situations, where the piano is flat because it hasn't been
tuned for several years, or if the temperature and humidity has gone kerpluey
(Sp?) finishing with the piano at A440 is not going to be that critical. The
main concern is to get the piano back in the neighborhood. I have found I can
get a piano back to approximately A440 with one pass, when it has been about
25 cents or so low. Anything worse than that, and the piano will not only not
stay at approximately 440, but it won't be stable either, and you wind up
working twice as hard just to keep the piano in tune.

Wim