Feeling the Hammers when playing!!!!!

Scott Jackson jurjens@tpg.com.au
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:49:47 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, 26 June 2002 1:20
Subject: Feeling the Hammers when playing!!!!!

| I'd like to play devil's advocate for a moment: Come on! Hasn't
anyone heard
| of "let-off"? There is no physical way that the player can "feel"
the hammer
| as it hits the string! But then, there is the coupling of the hammer
| shank to rail to action brackets to key bed to key pin and then to
the key.
| Hmm? Do high end pianists have the capability to feeling all the way
through
| the aforementioned "coupling". Sounds more like the usual "Performer
BS" to
| me.
snip
| Regards,
| Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Has anyone worked on a Yamaha GranTouch?
They are electronic, with no strings. The action is a standard grand
action, but when you play them they do feel different: very 'hard' on
your hands.

By Joe's reasoning it should feel the same, shouldn't it?

Scott Jackson
Jurjens Pianos
Wollongong Australia