Peterson 490ST Strobe tuner....good?

SUSAN P SWEARINGEN ssclabr8@flash.net
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:55:43 -0500

How exactly do you tune with the 490ST?  I used to have one and the major
problem is that it only provides preset stretches.  Your chances of having
one of these preset stretches matching the inharmonicity of the piano is
about the same as winning the lottery.

The only reason I would ever suggest someone purchase a 490ST is when they
are a beginner.  It can help you learn to set a temperament aurally.  It can
also help you learn to tune unisons aurally.  But, unless you have good
aural skills and are just using the 490ST as a reference and occasional
check, I can't see it being much help in an actual tuning in a client's
home.

I used it a an electronic tutor as I was learning aural skills.  I tried
using it to tune a clients console piano and while the temperament came out
reasonably well, the extreme treble and bass came out horrible.  Retuning
using more or less pre-programmed stretch didn't do much to correct the
problem.

With all due respect to Peterson, I don't see how they can claim this is a
true ETD.  To me, an ETD has the ability to measure the inharmonicty of the
piano and make pitch recommendations based on these individual measurements,
not pre-programmed stretch tables.  The Peterson model does allow you to
program in your own stretch settings but how in the world do they expect you
to get this data?  When I was still learning, I called Yamaha and talked to
a tech trying to get their stretch listings on the U1 so that I could
program them into the 490ST.  Yamaha understood what I was trying to do but
politely informed me that stretch listings were not available and, in any
case, would not be exactly the same even on the same make and model piano.
All the more reason to have an ETD that measures each individual piano -
like the Accutuner, Verituner, or Cybertuner.  All three of these are great
instruments.

I should have done more research before I spent the $600 on the 490ST.  I
was able to learn from it but I would have been much better off saving up
for a Verituner or SAT right from the start.

Anybody agree or disagree with my comments?  Please share.

Corte Swearingen