Moore

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 07:29:29 -0700

What I said about fifths was wrong, a bit backwards. They weren't trying for
pure fifths; they were trying to temper the fifths and save the thirds.
Those tuners who tuned as I guessed below wound up tuning reverse well.
Apologies for continuing the confusion, especially because I am dedicated to
clearing it up. Gotta run to my day job.

.  jason kanter . jkanter@rollingball.com . jason.kanter@wamu.net
.  manager . learning & performance development
.  consumer loan servicing . washington mutual bank
.  office 206 490 6708 . cell 425 830 1561
.  home (bellevue): 425 562 4127 . fax 425 562 4132
.  14847 ne 14th st . bellevue wa 98007
.  (orcas): 360 376 2799 . 136 perch tree lane . eastsound wa 98245

From: Jason Kanter <jkanter@rollingball.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:40:20 -0700
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Moore

Here's what appears to me as the background of the "Moore," "Broadwood's
Usual" and "Broadwood's Best" tunings.

Alexander John Ellis diligently studied various methods of tuning and came
up with his own recommendations. He was very much interested in the question
of whether equal temperament was possible or practical. As part of his work,
in 1885 he published "Specimens of Tuning in Equal Temperament", in which he
commissioned seven tunings and analyzed each one using a complex set of
tuning forks that gave him accurate readings of actual cycles per second.

Of these seven tunings, four were done on pianos and three on an organ or
harmonium, on which the tuner can play the interval for a long time without
decay, enabling the organ tuner to count slow-beating fifths accurately.

At least two of the piano tunings were done by different tuners from the
Broadwood Piano Factory. One of these was Ellis's usual tuner, and the
tuning which this guy did is now identified in the literature (including my
charts on rollingball.com) as the Broadwood Usual. The other, now known as
"Broadwood's Best", was done by a top student of Hipkins, who was "the
famous piano technician who introduced the philosophy of equal temperament
to the Broadwood Piano Factory in 1846." Hipkins himself certified this
particular tuning as excellent. Hipkins was Chopin's personal favorite piano
tuner.

So both the Broadwood tunings are attempts at achieving equal temperament
without using the beat rates of thirds and sixths (which had not yet been
"discovered" as tuning tools).

The "Moore" was tuned on a harmonium by a tuner from Messrs. Moore and
Moore. As mentioned above, these guys counted the beat rates of fifths,
because they did not have to wrestle with decay and were able to sustain for
many seconds while they counted. They did not count beat rates of thirds or
sixths.

Here's my personal opinion of these temperaments. These were the best tuners
of the mid 1800s. They were trying to make the fifths come out as right as
they could. In the process they were naturally favoring the fifths that are
most in use in composed music, while making the less used fifths still as
tolerable as they could. Because he could hear the fifths better, the
harmonium tuner from Moore & Moore was able to come closer to "equal" than
the Broadwood piano tuners. That's why we experience it as so "mild."

If they could have tuned exactly equal temperament, I bet they would have
done so simply because they were starting to believe that the mathematical
purity of equal temperament was the perfect ideal. They did not dream that
by abandoning the pure fifth they were losing a musical experience that we
have now almost forgotten. To hear classical music played with CG, FC, and
GD fifths pure and the CE, FA, GB thirds almost just is an experience quite
surprisingly different, but that is what the composers of the time were
creating.

Source: Jorgensen, pages 534-535, with my imagination thrown in for local
color.

jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799