Ivory Keytops - "Waterfall"

Matt Wynne ptuner@optonline.net
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 22:57:08 -0400

Hi Claudia:

This procedure is useful when ivory overhangs are chipped, but you or the
customer just doesn't want to part with the ivory.  This can also be done
on plastic.

I have a belt/disc sander and use the disc portion to carefully grind back
to overhang until it is flush with the key front.  I think better results
are produced using this method than the bastard file because, although you
need to bring the keys to the shop, you:

1) grind them off in about 10-15 minutes,

2) achieve pretty consistent results,  and

3) you can buff them afterwards, making them look real shiny and clean.

Note: if the overhangs are chipped past the front of the key, you will
still see the chipping after you grind them and this should be pointed out
to the customer ahead of time.

Have fun
-Matt