Feeling the Hammers when playing

Patrick C Poulson pcpoulso@pacbell.net
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 23:22:34 -0700

Hello All: I remember a discussion in a convention voicing class about the
phenomenon of "psychoacoustics."  The contention of the teacher, whose name
escapes me at the moment, is that what we hear influences what we think we
are feeling as we play the piano.  A very bright piano will be perceived by
many as being "easier" to play, because it seems louder and therefore
doesn't require as much effort from the pianist.  Vice versa for a very
mellow piano, where the pianist may have to play harder to get the piano to
project.  In both cases the pianist is not actually feeling the hammer
itself, but is reacting to the kind of tone the piano is producing and is
automatically and perhaps unconsciously adjusting his or her playing to
compensate for what the instrument is not giving.
Patrick Poulson, RPT