Tickler

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 08:31:47 EDT

Jon writes:,(and I'm gonna disagree just because I'm frustrated at not being
in Chicago....)

>If the upstop rail is too low, it would restrict the aftertouch to start
>with.

>By stepping on the damper pedal it would force the underlevers deeper into
>
>the felt (if the pedal travel allowed)
>and increase the aftertouch by allowing more key travel.

    Jon,  that ain't the way I see it.  On the Steinway, lifting the damper
tray moves the underlever flange pin upwards, and if the underlever is
already trapped between the upstop rail and the keyend felt with the key
depressed, the result is that the nose of the underlever goes back down,
pushing the keyend down, attempting to raise the keyfront, and taking away
from aftertouch.  No??
Ed, (grump, gripe, grimace, ........)