False Beats

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 23:41:43 -0500

I rassle with this also William. Two octaves of nothing but false beats - and sometimes it's not even a Kimball! They will sound so bad that I fear the owner will think that I skipped tuning the whole treble! I tuned five pianos at a church yesterday and one of them was an older Aeolian/Cable spinet. Totally trashed with false beats. The other pianos were OK. If I were the music director I would think that the piano dude must have been in a hurry on that spinet.

Whether to point it out to the piano owner or not is a question that I have not fully resolved for myself. I find myself informing the piano owner less and less frequently over time.

If a whole area is plagued with false beats, and it appears that loose bridge pins are a major contributor, I would recommend unhitching all strings in that section, removing all bridge pins, re-notch, drop of thin epoxy (I use West System) in hole, dip new pin in epoxy, drive pin home, clean up area, wait at least one day (I like to wait two days), put strings back.

Check archives. Tons of detailed stuff on epoxy repair and CA repairs for bridge pins.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "William R. Monroe" <pianowrmonroe@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: False Beats

Kevin,

Not my piano, but my tuning!!  I finished a tuning and was sick.  I kind of felt the need to point out the false beats to the client in an effort to save face on the tuning.  Essentially demonstrated the problem by muting two of the three strings and said that if it is too much of a distraction (for his two daughters who play) that we could try a couple things to fix them.  What is your take on removing the bridge pins and putting epoxy in there and seeing what that does (if they are loose)?

William R. Monroe
PTG Associate
Salt Lake City, UT