Stringing

Elliot Dey Wilcox elliot31@juno.com
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 11:34:56 -0600

Hello all, I've just joined this forum. I am trying to help select a new
Steinway for a church. Question: Has anyone encountered stringing
problems on the new Steinway B's? I've seen 5 or 6 B's now and they all
have a half dozen or more strings (right string of tri-chord) in the
midsection of the piano that bind on and bend past adjacent tuning pins
(from the next tri-chord) on their travel down to the agraffes. The
Steinway factory service manager told me this is a stringing
"characteristic" of the B's, not a problem. He also could not guarantee
that I would see any B's without this characteristic if I came to the
factory to select a Steinway. I know that older B's have little, if any,
off-line stringing. Are there serious concerns regarding equalizing
pressure while tuning, strings breaking years down the road or sooner,
etc.? Thank you, Elliot Wilcox
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.