Lease piano issues (was Symphony piano sale)

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Sun, 03 Mar 2002 13:35:44 -0600

COMMENTS INTERSPERCED WITH YOUR QUESTIONS.

On 3/3/02 at 1:38 PM Bdshull@AOL.COM wrote:

>List,
>
>As one who has, with great excitement and expectation, performed
hundreds
>of
>tunings on lease pianos at universities, I want to ask those of you
who
>have
>been involved with the lease programs:
>
>From your experience:
>
>1.  Do these new, pitch-unstable pianos get enough tunings to be
useful
>for
>music education?

We have two different loan programs currently at SMU.  One is
successful, the other much less so.  The successful program leaves
the pianos in place for a full year and includes a tuning on
delivery.  These pianos work fine and are an asset to the school.
The other program seems to have pianos coming and going at odd times
and I don't think I keep up with them very well.

>2.  Does the lease sale happen at a time that is disruptive to the
school
>schedule, rehearsals, jury preparation, etc., or does it happen
before or
>after an academic period?

The successful program delivers new pianos and picks up the others on
the same day in the summer between school years.  The other seems to
have random pick-up and delivery dates, with long periods of no
instruments.  (e.g. pianos were picked up the second week of December
and the replacements are yet to arrive.

>3.  Does the school have control of the coming and going of these
pianos
>so
>that they do not get moved or sold out from under you at any time,
further
>complicating the attempt to have tuning-stable pianos for the year?

Yes and no.

>4.  Have you, your school or the local dealer done anything to
>successfully
>resolve these problems, that you can share with us?

No

David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Meadows School of the Arts