Chines and multi-piece rims

Mon, 4 Mar 2002 08:29:24 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: March 03, 2002 7:56 AM
Subject: Re: Chines and multi-piece rims

> I've wondered at how one determines a case is twisted in the first place
let alone straighten it. I've unstrung many that I thought had a peculiar
plate flex when released from rim prison. I simply try to reinstall them
without flex or stress.

You sit in front of it and look. Sight along the stretcher and see if the
tail lines up parallel. Or place a pair of winding sticks on the rim; one
along the front over the stretcher and the other parallel to it across the
tail. Usually the right side of the tail will be sticking up. Sometimes
quite a lot. We recently did a S&S C with the right side of the tail a full
20 mm above the left.

>  I far prefer a laminated hardwood case. It must have superior impedance
qualities over say soft wood rims but can't see why they'd have any
advantage over a laid up hard wood (maple) rim. As long as there is a firm
and rigid foundation for plate and board to attach to then all is well in my
world. Does this make a lick of sense?

Sure, but you're leaving out such things as soundboard size and shape, both
of which have an effect on tone performance. Multi-piece rims can be made of
anything--they can be built-up or laminated (ours will be laminated maple).

Del