Chines and multi-piece rims

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 08:54:53 EST

I.> iginal Message -----

         Speaking of that I notices your kind of alluding to the yet
unexplained sound board shape comments. I presume they are proprietary. No
sweat. But perhaps you or any one else wishes  to speak my comments as  to
shape.
   I find the Model O steinway a difficult nut to crack so to speak when
putting new boards in them. They seem to have a narrow range of parameters in
which they work well. Meaning they seem to be sensitive to having there ribs
stiffened much before the sound seems stingy. Probably partly scale tension
issues I don't believe they tolerate much extra board thickness either. But
it is more than that and I suspect the board /rim shape is a big factor.
 So I've been wondering if the steinway L that replaced it is a better mouse
trap by virtue of the case design being broad tailed there by allowing for
the different"sound board shape"as opposed to the very round tailed O model.
I don't have the same difficultys with the Stwy model Ms. It would appear
this broad style would have more area behing the bass bridge allowing more
freedon of movement.
  I find the Ls to be less boomy in the bass and more mid rangish where the
o's are frequently reffered to as a more romantic sounding piano.
     I've only one Model O in my clientele that has an original board with
legitimate crown and adequate bearing and tonally it is an amazing sound.
    All the other O's I've encountered are mostly duds with flat boards.