Symphony Piano Sale

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 21:35:05 EST

dm.porritt@verizon.net writes:

> The university sale for SMU is always held at the dealership.  Our legal
> department would not let this commercial event take place on campus for
> fear of losing our tax-exempt status.  I'm a little surprised that this
> hasn't caught some other universities.
>
> dave

I'm no legal expert, but the sale of pianos would be no different than the
sale of goods at the university bookstore, or the pop corn and hot dogs at
the football game. The sale is set up in such a way that part of the
proceeds, (very small part), go to the unviersity, which is the case of the
bookstore and a the stadium.

Wim